Jerwood Foundation

Jerwood Library

Trinity Hall, Cambridge


Architects: Freeland Rees Roberts
Opened in May 1999

Jerwood Foundation made a capital grant of £1.4 million 'to cover the bricks and mortar' of Trinity Hall's library for its 30,000 books, a long overdue facility for the Cambridge college. The award-winning Jerwood Library was designed by Freeland Rees Roberts and was officially opened in May 1999 by the Rt. Hon. The Lord Howe of Aberavon CH QC, an alumnus of Trinity Hall. Awards include a Civic Trust Award and a David Urwin Award for Conservation.

Jerwood Library provides, over four floors, 110 reading spaces, 10 modernised student rooms, a seminar room and a computer room. The bold design took sensitive account of the building's environment, in particular its position directly on the River Cam facing the Backs, the adjoining 1909 building and the adjacent bridge over the river. The structure is steel framed with a great deal of glazing to optimise the exceptional views.

The library has gained recognition as one of the best examples of post-wa building in Cambridge. in February 2019 it was announced that it had been voted the favourite new, refurbished, etended or conserved building in central Cambridge in the last half century.

Trinity Hall

Trinity Hall was founded by Bishop Bateman of Norwich in 1350, making it the fifth oldest surviving college of the University of Cambridge. The original college library was built in the late sixteenth century and is now principally used for the storage of manuscripts and rare books.

trinhall.cam.ac.uk

Jerwood Library, Trinity Hall © Architects: Freeland Rees Roberts