Jerwood Foundation made a capital grant of £1.4 million ‘to cover the bricks and mortar’ of Trinity Hall’s library for its 30,000 books, a long overdue facility for the Cambridge College. The bold design of the steel-framed structure with extensive glazing took sensitive account of the building’s environment, particularly its position directly on the River Cam facing the Backs, the adjoining 1909 building and the adjacent bridge over the river.
The award-winning Jerwood Library designed by Tristran Rees Roberts as an extenstion to the Thornton Building was officially opened in May 1999 by the Rt Hon. The Lord Howe of Aberavon CH QC (1926-2015), an alumnus of Trinity Hall.
Coinciding with its 20th Anniversary in 2019, confirming the building’s status as a much-loved feature of the city’s landscape, and to mark the 50th Anniversary of the Cambridge Conservation area, the Jerwood Library was awarded the Best New, Refurbished, Extended or Conserved Building in the city centre since the designation of the conservation area in 1969.
Featured: Left to right:Tristan Rees Roberts, architect with Katie Thornborrow, Cambridge City Councillor and The Revd Canon Dr Jeremy Morris, Master of Trinity Hall in front of the Jerwood Library, June 2019.