Our Commitment to a Greener Future
Jerwood Foundation is committed to reducing our environmental impact. We aim to increase sustainability best practices and policies. As an organisation, we know that our main direct environmental impacts include energy, travel, transport of artworks for exhibitions, and packaging materials.
We are continuously working toward becoming more eco-friendly and to improve our understanding around sustainable best practices. We are reassessing our systems to adapt, change and learn.
What we have done
- Joined the Gallery Climate Coalition and pledging to at least half our carbon emissions by 2030, from a 2019 baseline.
- We have designated a Green Ambassador to review our environmental action plans, research and track our carbon footprint.
- Staff use public transport when possible.
- Reduce energy consumption by turning off all the office lights and electronics daily.
- We have reduced our paper consumption by no longer printing an Annual Review and we send an online email newsletter.
- We use efficient low energy heating methods.
- We use online video calls instead of long-distance travel, where possible.
- Ensuring the majority of our international shipping is carried out by sea, rail or road rather than air.
- Jerwood Collection reuses packaging materials and makes consolidated shipments, where possible.
- Jerwood Collection's online shop is print-on-demand, meaning there are no excess materials. Their supplier Heritage Digital are committed to reducing their impact on the environment.
Commitments Going Forward
- Reduce our carbon emissions by 50% in the next 8 years in line with Paris Agreement.
- Continue to regularly calculate the carbon footprint of our operations.
- Working with other GCC members on projects to help develop more sustainable packaging, transport and energy saving solutions for the whole sector.
- Speaking with transport agents about switching to only low or zero emissions vehicles for local deliveries.
We have set these targets and are taking actions in the knowledge that we aren’t yet doing everything right. We still have a great deal to do and much to learn. We welcome feedback on how we can be more environmentally friendly. If you have any thoughts or suggestions please email Sarah Mack – email@example.com