When Trinity Laban (then Trinity College of Music) moved to Greenwich in 2001, our aim was to curate a world-class educational environment and a core component of this vision was creating a library that could provide the resources and materials to support the learning and knowledge of our students. With the generous support of The Jerwood Foundation we were able to achieve that aim and more, enabling countless talented students to benefit from access to an internationally significant, award-winning facility.
- Anthony Bowne, Principal of Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
A major capital grant of £1.2 million was made towards Trinity Laban’s library when it moved into its new site at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich. The Jerwood Library of the Performing Arts occupies the second floor of King Charles Court, part of the palace originally built by Sir Christopher Wren for King Charles II which dates back to 1660. Although it opened to users in September 2001, the official opening ceremony took place in January 2002. It is a three-time winner of the IAML (UK & Irl) Excellence Award for Music Libraries (2019, 2014 and 2010).
The Jerwood Library is home to a loan collection of over 90,000 books, scores and recordings and as such is one of the jewels in Trinity Laban’s crown. It plays a significant role in supporting Trinity Laban’s mission to bring together performers and practitioners to train, collaborate, research and perform in inspiring creative, intellectual and physical spaces.
Photo: © Peter Smith